Make Something New Every Day


This blog is inspired by all those who love to cook, whether experienced or not, and who continue to experiment with new ideas & ingredients, and best of all, share their passion with others.

The first entries are recipes prepared by the students of Lionel Wilson College Preparatory Academy in Oakland, CA. Fifteen students with varying cooking experience participated in my weekly workshop (via Tutorpedia), and successfully prepared various meals, snacks, and baked goods as part of an after-school program.

Along with the recipes from that class, I will continue to add new seasonal items, spanning every genre of the culinary world, as well as a helpful list of links to recipes, instructional videos, and places to shop and volunteer in your area.

Feel free to ask me questions and share your recipes and ideas as well. I look forward to cooking with you.


August 26, 2017

Curry Chicken Pasta Salad

Why did I wait so long to blog this? I think it's because it's not much to look at. I mean look at it. Bo-ring. But it tastes wonderful. Over the years I've shared the recipe with its devotees, and now, I share it with the world.

Do the Right Thing! 
For this recipe, I'm adamant about using specific brands of mango chutney and yellow curry powder. There have been times when I didn't have or couldn't find those brands, and made it anyway. Big mistake. I'm sure the original recipe from Cooks Illustrated (one for curry beef pasta salad) didn't specify brands, but I've been making this for well over 20 years, and it's just best this way. Trust me.
United Markets, Andronico's, Mollie Stones, and some Safeways carry these brands.

As for the pasta and chicken ratio, and the methods for cooking the chicken - those are up to you. Ideally, I poach 2-3 boobs in chicken broth, but have also grilled the chicken, or used the breast meat from a whole roasted chicken. 

A good ratio is 2-3 breasts (about 3C of shredded meat) to one pound of pasta. 

Boil 1# of good quality Italian fusilli, drain, and rinse with cold water to stop it from overcooking. 

Shred the chicken into a large mixing bowl. 

The Sauce
1 jar Crosse & Blackwell major grey's mango chutney
2 eggs
3-4T Sun brand madras yellow curry powder
1/2t cayenne pepper
S&P to taste
grapeseed or canola oil 

In a blender or mini-prep, puree the chutney, add the eggs and seasonings, and blend til smooth. Slowly drizzle in 1/2C+ oil to create a mayonnaise. Adjust the seasoning to taste, and pour over the chicken and pasta. The sauce will absorb in the fridge, so use all of it, even if it looks like too much. 

Chill in the fridge for at least an hour, or overnight. Finish it within 3 days, as it contains raw eggs. 

На здоровья! 

No comments:

Post a Comment